Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Joy of Music

"What Child is This?"
At this time of year music is one of the biggest things people use to spread Christmas cheer. People go caroling, they attend concerts, and they listen to music ringing throughout their house. Music is pretty much everywhere we go. Have you ever considered the music you listen too? Is it an influence for good? Does it make you feel happy? Do you know what the song is talking about? Do you know the real meaning behind the lyrics or the tune of the song you are listening too? Because it's Christmas, Christmas music is everywhere we go. The majority of the songs we hear are familiar and we can sing along. Some of the tunes you have probably grown up with. But have you taken a moment to think about the message of the song you are singing? So many Christmas songs have a deeper meaning than most are aware. When you truly know the meaning of the song, it may change your perspective on Christmas and the things that are happening around you. One such song for me is: "What Child is This?" * As a child this song was always pretty, but very confusing to me. I always wondered why the song was asking: "What Child is This?" I thought that the song should be saying: "This Child is Christ the King!" Didn't everyone know who he was? He was born the son of God. So why then was the song asking who the child was? This year I have the wonderful opportunity to sing this song in my choir concert. I asked my director to please explain to me the meaning of this piece so that I could sing it better. The explanation I received was absolutely beautiful. This is what I was told: this piece is about Mary talking to Jesus right after he is born. She feels all those feelings that new mothers feel, the amazing love, the inadequate feeling of not knowing what to do, etc. But Mary also felt something that no other mother ever has felt. Mary felt knowledge that the baby in her arms, her son, was the son of God, and he was there to save her. She felt so responsible for everything that happened to him and she wanted to make sure she did her very best to raise him the way the Lord needed him raised so that he could save the world. "Why lies he in such mean estate" is one of my favorite lines in this song. This line tells how the shepherds and Mary and Joseph felt when they saw Christ lying in the manger. "How," they wondered, "is this little baby freezing in a manger, born in this stable, going to save the world?" The spirit that they must have felt knowing that he was the Savior of the world and seeing him lie there in the manger was probably the most amazing thing ever. Now as I sing this song, I can't help but have tears brought to my eyes. Can you imagine being Mary? Can you imagine being there as a witness and knowing who that baby was? Knowing the meaning and interpretation of this song really changes how I feel about Christmas, and the way the music at this time of year effects my life. Christmas has so much more meaning than the gifts, the trees, the lights, the candy, etc. Christmas is the most amazing time of year, where everything is centered around our Savior. I know that if we take the time to learn the meaning of the songs we sing at this time of year, we will be able to feel the spirit more strongly, and we will be able to stand as a witness that the things we sing of our true. "This this is Christ the King!" How true the words ring, and the peace they bring to me. I am so thankful that I know that Christ was born, he lived for me and you, and he died for me and you. He loves each and everyone of us. He knows us, he knows our struggles and he wants us to come unto him and ask for forgiveness and seek his love and light. I know that these things are true. I love my Heavenly Father and his Son, my Savior: Jesus Christ with all my heart.
In the name of Jesus Christ,
Amen

Love,
Samantha
*Here is a link to the song. This arrangement is sung by: Josh Groban. I love this piece and encourage you to listen and feel of the spirit as you do so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3FWlnR-sDs

No comments: