Sunday, May 18, 2014

Overcoming Challenges is Possible

 Through Prayer and Faith you can overcome.
Life is hard. Whether you are in elementary school, Jr. high, high school, collage, a parent, etc. I know that no matter what stage of life you are in, we all face challenges every day. Although we all face challenges, we all face them differently. Some of us might greet our challenges with sorrow and anger, some of us with passive feelings, while others of us greet them with a smile and an attitude to overcome. Some of us may be 5 and face the challenge of deciding what juice we want for lunch, some 14 and trying to be a positive influence among crazy kids in Jr. high, some 18 and facing graduation in a few short weeks, some of us 20 and trying to make the right decisions to some of life's hardest choices (Marriage and school), some of us grandparents who don't know how to best spoil their grand-kids. While some of these challenges are obviously much harder than others, I know that there can always be success in facing a challenge as long as we go about it in the correct and best way for us. Today I want to speak to you about how I know we can always be successful and have peace when facing a challenge. 

I want to start out by telling you of some challenges I have had personally or have been affected by in the past 2 weeks. I will start with last Saturday night. I was asked about a month ago to choreograph a dance for a close friend of mine for her senior solo. Saturday night was the last performance. We were second after intermission. During the intermission I went back stage to get into my costume. (She had asked me to dance with her.) When I got back there, my friend had tears in her eyes. I asked her what was wrong and she told me that she had gotten something in her foot and it was really hurting her. She told me to look at it and see what to do. I did and realized we needed to pull it out. We got the supplies to do so and when we pulled it out it was much much bigger than we had anticipated and it started bleeding a lot more than we had originally guessed it would. We called for the director to come back stage and see what to do because we were on next and she obviously couldn't dance yet. I said a prayer in my heart that it would work out and she would have peace and she would be able to finish dancing tonight, as this would be her last performance with this particular group because she is graduating in a few weeks. She got her foot all bandaged and she stood up to see if she would be able to dance. She said it didn't hurt at all anymore and she could do it! I was so surprised and thankful that she was going to be able to finish the show. As we performed she had the biggest smile on her face. I was blown away by the quick answer to my prayer, and by her unfailing faith that she could do hard things. 

My second story was this last Monday. My uncle had been in the hospital because of a heart attack and I got news Monday morning that he had passed away. I went home early for lunch to go see my grandma and make sure she was doing alright. I hadn't planned on doing this but felt it was the place I needed to be that Monday morning. My grandma and I talked for a little while and when my grandpa got home I felt like I could leave and go see my mom, so I did. My uncle is the 7th person that has passed away in 5 yrs that I have been close with. My initial response was to be upset with God because my great grandpa had just passed away about 7 month prior. I was sad that I had to loose another person so quickly. I was suddenly worried that my whole family would slowly all die over the next few years, because at this rate: it wasn't going to take long. When I got home I prayed that I would be able to have an understanding heart and mind and that my loved ones would be able to live long lives. I expressed to my Father in Heaven my concerns and worries. I suddenly felt comfort and knew that everything would be okay and that no matter what happened: He loved me and He would never leave me comfortless and alone. 

My last story took place last night. I was asked to speak in our Stake Conference Saturday night session. I was not scared at all until I realized last night while I sitting on the stand, that there was going to be a lot of people. Before the meeting, I went to the bathroom to quickly say a prayer and to ask for help to not be nervous and to be able to deliver the message He needed me to and in the way He needed me too. As I walked back to the stand to sit in my place I looked over the audience and noticed that I knew, or recognized most of them from different places. I felt peace overcome me, and I felt that it wasn't a "big deal," I was just talking to all my friends and family. When I got up to deliver my message, I was no longer scared and I did my best knowing that the Lord was standing with me and that He would fill my mouth with the words He needed the audience to hear.* 

All of these stories at least 2 things in common. Prayer, and Faith that my prayer would be heard and answered. I know that faith and prayer are always the answer when we face challenges. I had a dance teacher once who told me: "I look at my trials and challenges as compliments from God." When I asked her why, this was her explanation: "Trails and challenges always seem to come when you feel you are doing great, like nothing can stop you. At this point, God looks down at us and says: 'You have mastered that trail/challenge, now it is time for you to grow.' He wants us to grow so that we can become better and be more like His son Jesus Christ. So I look at my trials and challenges as compliments because it means that Heavenly Father thinks I am doing a good job and is giving me something to help me be even better!" When you think of a trail or challenge as compliment from God, doesn't it make the trial or challenge seem just a bit easier to handle? Even when the trial seems unfair or unnecessary, if we keep this in mind it helps us remember that Heavenly Father sees in terms of forever and knows what is best for us and our spiritual growth. 

In Doctrine and Covenants section 136 verse 31** it reads: "My people must be atried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the bglory that I have for them, even the glory of Zion; and he that will not cbear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom." This scripture reminds us that we must be tried in all things if we want to inherit the kingdom of God. It reminds us that our trials are preparing us to be able to handle the glory that we will inherit with the Kingdom of God. In another scripture in Doctrine and Covenants in section 58 verse 4 it reads: "For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand." This scripture (along with the other one in section 136) tell us we must tried in all things. It is only after these trials that we will be blessed. Our trails are our test in our "test"imony. 

Praying to our Heavenly Father and having Faith that He will hear and answer our prayers is the key to having success, peace and comfort in our times of trial and challenge. Sometimes our success may not come immediately, but rather be met by another challenge. However I do know that success will most definitely come to those who are faithful and stay close to the Lord during their times of trial instead of pushing him away. We need to learn to remember that our trials are not Heavenly Father's way of punishing us, but rather a way He shows His love and concern for us: that He wants us to be able to learn as much as we can and grow. He wants us to be able to progress in all areas of our life and the only way to do so is to have challenges. I KNOW that our trials/challenges are blessings. I know that if we remember this and we meet our trials/challenges with a smile and an attitude to overcome: we will be much happier, and we will have the Lord's spirit to lead and guide us through our challenges much more abundantly. I know that Heavenly Father sees in terms of forever, and because He does He knows what is best for us. This also means that He knows the best solution for you individually to each and every one of your challenges and trials. All He wants is for you to turn to Him and ask for His help. He is waiting and willing, it's up to you to ask Him. 

I know that I belong to the only true church on this earth: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Days Saints. I know that my Heavenly Father will never leave me alone to face a challenge and that He will be there every step of the way as long and I do my part and ask Him for His help. He will never give me a challenge that I cannot handle. Every challenge I receive is for a reason, and I trust Heavenly Father to give the appropriate challenges to help me to help me learn and grow the best I can so that I can be the faithful servant and daughter I need to be for Him. I know that this is true. I love the gospel with all my heart. I know Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet and he leads and guides us according to the revelation he receives from Heavenly Father. I know these things are true. 

In the Name of Jesus Christ, 
Amen 

Love,
Samantha 

*I knew that the Lord would fill my mouth with the words He needed me to speak because of a scripture I remembered from Moses (a book in the Pearl of Great Price that tells about Moses life. This book was what Joseph Smith translated from the Book of Genesis from the bible.) This scripture is Moses chapter 6 verse 32 it reads: And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good.

** The Doctrine and  Covenants is a book that we believe was written scripture for our day. It is a book that consists of a lot of revelation to Joseph Smith during the restoration of the church. I know that Joseph Smith was and is a true prophet and that even though he was only a young boy: I KNOW he saw God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ and that he restored the true church. 


1 comment:

Family said...

I really loved your post for this week. I have been frustrated and uncertain about some trials lately, and that was an answer to my prayers. I've been needing to find a different way to look at my trials, so I can better overcome them. I really like the Idea of looking at your trails like compliments from God. Thank you so much for being so in tune with the spirit and able to help me when I need it. You are so helpful, and I really love you. Thanks!
~Grace