Sunday, March 1, 2015

If The Savior Stood Beside You

He is always right beside you.
This week I have been thinking a lot about the lyrics to a popular primary song titled: "If The Savior Stood Beside Me." The lyrics to the song are as follows: 
Words and music by Sally DeFord

1. If the Savior stood beside me,
would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments,
and try harder to be true?
Would I follow His example?
Would I live more righteously
if I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me?
2. If the Savior stood beside me,
would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind
if He was never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel?
Would I speak more rev’rently
if I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me?
3. He is always near me,
though I do not see Him there,
And because He loves me dearly,
I am in His watchful care.
So I’ll be the kind of person
that I know I’d like to be
if I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me.


The words to this song have always struck me. They are beautifully written in a way that every one can relate to them. "What if you really could see the Savior standing by you?" I ask myself this all the time. Would I be the young woman I am today? Would I say the things I say? Would I try harder to follow Him? Would I be nicer, smile more, and reach out more? Am I being the tool in His hands that He needs me to be? Would He be disappointed in me? These are questions I am always asking myself, because it's true. The Savior is always "standing" close by, watching over me. He sees all I do, He hears all I say. 

This past Wednesday night this song really hit me hard.  I had some extra time to do something not school related, so I decided to study the gospel. As I opened the New Era (a church magazine) I said a little prayer that I could be blessed with the spirit to find what I needed to find, and learn the things I was in need of learning that night. 
I wasn't super nice to my younger sister that night. She kept yelling for me to come into her room, but I was reading the New Era and didn't want to be bugged. Eventually, I went to see what she wanted because she wouldn't stop calling. As I grudgingly walked to her room to see what she inquired of me  I suddenly felt like singing this song. Ignoring the feeling, I burst into my sister's room and asked in a very irritated voice "What do you want now?" To say the least, I hurt her feelings. She was feeling lonely and just wanted someone to listen to her while she talked for a minute. Again this song came to mind. Humbled, I bowed my head. "I'm sorry." I said. Still hurt, she kept crying. I felt I needed to sing to her. "I am a child of God, and He has sent me here" I began singing as I stroked her hair. Although she was still trying to avoid me, I kept singing other primary songs she might know. Still thinking of this song, I knew I had to sing it next. "If the Savior stood beside me.." I sang to her. At that moment, she sat up from her pillows, and turned to lay her head in my lap. I kept singing. Toward the end she joined in with me. Together we sang. Suddenly the spirit was so strong. Even though I wasn't reading the New Era, I knew I had found and learned exactly what the Savior needed me to learn that night. 

As I went on with my week, I kept thinking of this experience and this song. As I walked through the halls, I would sing it in my mind, smiling at everyone I passed. I wanted to "be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be if I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me." Because I knew for a fact, that He was indeed watching over me, and walking by my side. 

Brothers and Sisters, I wanted to share with experience with you today because I feel we all too often forget this simple truth: That He is there watching over us and walking by our side. I think we all too often forget that we can do more. It's not that we are doing bad things, but are we doing all we could be doing? I dare say we aren't. (I know I'm not.) How then, can we do all we can to be led by the spirit to let the light we have be given shine forth that all may see our Father in Heaven? How then can we do all we were created to do? 

Well, I don't have all the answers, but I do know something that helps me; Remember who you are. You are a Child Of God. I know that each of us has a divine purpose and mission here in this life on earth. Only you can do what you were called to do. That's why you were chosen for this life- because you are strong enough to live it. 

Brothers and Sisters, I want to ask you to join with me in this challenge: Remember who you are. Remember your divine purpose and mission- You are a Child Of God, and you can do hard things. Remember the Savior is indeed standing by and watching over you. Try a little harder to be a little better each and every day. Smile at someone, take time to listen to someone in need. Comfort those who are lost. Invite the lonely to be with you. Never give up. Speak loving words. Remember He loves you dearly. 

Of this I testify of, in the name Of Jesus Christ,
Amen 

Love, 
Samantha 

*If you would like to hear "If The Savior Stood Beside Me" click here I am sorry it's a youtube video. But it's on the Mormon Tabernacle's page- so it's from a great source! I couldn't find one anywhere else. I hope this works for you. 

No comments: